This dog.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

This dog.

Post by feelingchimpy on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm not sure how much I've talked about it here, but we got a puppy last February or somewhere around then. It was great for a little while, but then he started killing our other pets if he could get his mouth on them. That was problem number one, and after he killed one of /my/ pets, I decided he wasn't exactly the best dog we'd ever had.
Then he started his aggression issues towards people. Anybody who comes through the door is going to get attacked if he isn't locked up. For awhile it was just strangers or people who didn't live here. Now its extended to my brother and I, and not only when we come in through the door... just if he sees us at all.
Today alone he tried to attack me twice and my brother once.
I don't feel safe. I'm terrified of this dog. And it feels like that doesn't matter at all to my parents. They literally keep telling me to get over it, that he isn't going anywhere, and to stop complaining. w h a t. Your kids are in legitimate DANGER. Do you literally not care? Really???
I'm too upset to get wordy and clever in the way that I talk about this... I just simply do not feel safe. I feel like my parents don't care. They're doing nothing to try to correct this problem. They keep making excuses for this dog to excuse literally everything he does. It feels like they're putting him over my brother and I.
I wonder what they'll say when he actually does bite one of us. He has already bitten my brother's friend and drawn blood. Its only a matter of time before its me or my brother.
This is an all time new low, even for my parents... And that's saying something.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This dog.

Post by Mocking on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:26 pm

He's a great dane, right...? That's very bizarre. Danes are usually some of the sweetest natured dogs out there. Sorry that's happening...keep your wits about you and try to keep important things/pets where they can't be reached.

I'm not in a position of authority to talk about canine behavior, but generally, aggression only continues if the dog feels threatened or if people (like your parents, apparently) don't discipline it. Even the nicest dog is going to run amok if there's no boundaries. There's blogs run by professional animal behaviorists like Why Animals Do the Thing who might be able to offer advice if you drop them an ask?

I'm not sure if this is comforting or upsetting (and I apologize if it is), but most danes live about five/six years...so at least he won't be some decade-long menace.
Mocking

View user profile http://mock-the-hero.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Yes he is, everybody is saying this is very un-dane-like. Aren't we just /lucky/ to have ended up with such an unusual dane? -___-

They don't discipline him. They let him get away with everything and just make excuses for all of his behavior. They've created a monster tbh. The vet warned them at 10 weeks old that he was going to be a dangerous dog if they didn't take steps to prevent it... Of course, they waved her off and didn't do anything. I've asked for a lot of advice from a lot of people but my parents don't want to hear any of it. They think they've got this under control... HAH, yeah, right.

The breeder said her dane lines average 12 years and she's never had anybody contact her to say one of her danes died before 10. Maybe he'll be the first... I don't wish death on things, but at least the period of time where he could possibly hurt people would be shorter.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Hmm...yeah, I figured as much. Advice is useless if they won't listen. Maybe more proactive dog self-defense advice for you would be better in this situation? Keep your fingers in fists if he seems like he's going to bite, don't make direct eye contact, that sort of thing. If the dog absolutely won't listen to you, there's nothing you can do to try and re-train him. Eventually he'll get bad enough that your parents' hands will be forced.

Yikes, that's a long-lived doggo. I hope for you and your brother's sake the situation gets resolved.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:27 pm

I honestly want to get some pepper spray... I want to be able to defend myself somehow. He's up to my chest (I'm smol) and he weighs as much as I do, but he's WAY stronger. I wouldn't stand a chance if he actually got hold of me. I'm terrified.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:34 pm

My aunt breeds German shepherds, and as kids we were always taught to knee them in the chest if they made a go at us (thankfully they were nice dogs and didn't do that), but that gets trickier the bigger they are...pepper or dog spray would be the better option. Or a sturdy wooden dowel (the big kind).
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:14 pm

If he jumps at me to bite me his chest is out of my knee range, he's a huge dog, its insane. I don't want to have to be freaking /armed/ just to leave my bedroom but that is what this situation is turning into. Ugh.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Yeah, that's not fair to you...but it sounds like that might be your best option until your parents are forced to address it.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 am

Soo remember how I said it was only a matter of time? He bit my brother tonight. He had friends over, and the dog wanted to attack them, so he was holding him back. The dog whirled around and bit him. It drew blood and is probably going to bruise. Mom is taking it seriously now but dad still says it isn't a problem. I don't even understand how this man's head works.

And for the record, lmao, I /have/ been arming myself with a metal baseball bat every time I leave my room for months now just in case. It has honestly gotten that ridiculous.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Thu May 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Hmm...out of interest, what do you think your parents' idea of dealing with him would be if they ever actually dealt with him? I mean, would they give him away or something, or try to retrain him?

hopefully you don't have to clobber him but I mean if it comes down to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Thu May 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Their solution is a shock collar, which I don't think are humane. They've had it for about 4 or 5 months, but are too lazy to charge it and put it on him. Mom wants him put down now that he bit my brother, but dad says him biting us isn't an issue (????????) so he's overruling.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm not even sure they work tbh. Hm, and that's a shame...lots of people like great danes. Even though he's aggressive I'm sure there's someone out there who would treat him like a project pet.

Jeez. Maybe he'll bite your dad.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 pm

He already has bitten dad, and dad still somehow thinks its not a problem. Honestly, what???

There are laws about dangerous dogs here and rehoming one isn't always straight forward. If you don't write up a contract for new owners to sign starting that they are aware the dog is dangerous and that they intend to follow the state's dangerous dog laws, you could be in deep shit if something happens. But all that aside, dad says he's not going anywhere or being put down. Dad won't even let us get him a muzzle. He's ridiculous and if anybody else gets hurt, it will be partly his fault for literally not letting us do anything to prevent it.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Fri May 19, 2017 9:01 pm

That's really weird?? Honestly, it's 100% his fault if the dog bites anyone else and does serious damage, since he's the one holding people back from preventing it. But I also live with Difficult People and know how they don't like to be responsible for anything, so...I wish you luck!
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Sat May 20, 2017 3:45 am

Thanks, it looks like we'll need it. I can't for the life of me understand why he won't recognize this as a problem :/

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum