Yeesh

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yeesh

Post by feelingchimpy on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:23 pm

So I ran into my first bit of Tumblr roleplay drama yesterday... Given the number of years I've been roleplaying there, I'd say that's a good run xD But man.

I gently told somebody that I was putting all RPs where people had human or humanoid characters on hiatus because I would rather focus on RPs with other ape characters right now (which I had been kindof saying for awhile now, so it wasn't a shock or anything. I didn't say that this is why because I didn't want to hurt feelings, but everybody with human/humanoid OCs that want to roleplay with me [especially my Caesar blog] all basically want to do the same plot and the plot/roleplays all got stale and repetitive) and they like... okay. Their character was a faerie, right? They got pissy because I "lumped her" with humans and humanoids. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they humanoids?? She had a human body with wings, horns, and magic. That's humanoid, right? Anyway, they got very passive aggressive and shit. I apologized if I had offended them with the term and said I wasn't sure which other term to use. I said I know a couple of other people to play the same character I was playing and offered to help them get into contact if they wanted to restart the plot, which made them angrier somehow. They continued to be passive aggressive no matter what I said, until I just stopped replying to them. I mean, I wasn't getting anywhere so why bother keep trying? They unfollowed my blogs immediately. I never said I was dropping the plot, I said I was taking a break from it. Sheesh.

Isn't the point of roleplaying for both parties to enjoy what they're doing? If a partner tells you they want to put a plot on hold for any reason, I would think the logical thing to do would be to say "Okay, I'll talk to you later!" or something. Its not a huge deal imo?? This person had tons of other roleplays, so they weren't left with nothing to do. I just don't understand why they couldn't be understanding about it. I had suspected that they had an attitude for awhile, though, tbh. The way they worded some of their roleplay rules and stuff dripped of it. They seem extremely touchy about their character.

Honestly this caught me so off guard because its been /so long/ since I've encountered any drama with roleplaying. The tumblr community, at least the strictly PotA one, is just fantastic. It seems like its the people with unrelated OCs that sometimes cause issues, and that's really too bad.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Yeesh

Post by Mocking on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Yeesh. At the end of the day roleplaying is a hobby that both people do for fun. If one person isn't happy then there's no point. You were being reasonable and it wasn't your fault they flipped out.

aghhhhh sorry you had to go through that. passive aggression is the most annoying thing. (also, faeries are indeed humanoids)

All kinds of strange folks on the internet, I guess. Nothing you can really do except move along.
Mocking

View user profile http://mock-the-hero.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Exactly, if one person isn't having fun anymore, its not necessarily a personal jab at the other person. Not all plots stay interesting, and sometimes it doesn't pan out the way one player had hoped it would and they stop having fun. There are plenty of other roleplayers out there, right? I mean, I understand being disappointed in losing a plot that you might have been enjoying, but there's no reason to get nasty with the other person about it. For all they know, the other person has anxiety and has been working up to this for awhile and is afraid to even ask to drop a roleplay. It definitely doesn't help that when the other person gets passive aggressive and stuff.

I mean in the end I got what I wanted - that roleplay is dropped - so I guess I'm happy with the outcome. I just wish it could have been on friendly terms. I hate knowing that I've made somebody upset, but I did everything that I thought I could to word it nicely and even apologize for the fact that they got upset. I can't hold myself responsible for the way people react, if I'm being kind. So, yeah. Its sad that it played out like that, but at least I don't have to force myself to reply to the roleplay anymore?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Also, it's not, like, mutually exclusive? You can take a break or bail on a roleplay with someone and still be friends with them? If they're pissed at you for that it probably wasn't you as a person that they valued the whole time, just your writing, ergo good riddance to them.

(Not to jack your post, but I also had a weird roleplay drama experience recently? Which hasn't happened in years. I was workshopping an expansive high fantasy world with someone and it was going great until we got to the desert regions, where I suggested we not make it a racist caricature of the Middle East like most fantasy novels do, and they immediately stopped talking to me, lmao.)
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 am

Oh, no doubt; they never talked to me. They didn't seem interested whatsoever in being friends, they only wanted the roleplay. So nothing was really lost on my end at least. I feel bad that they were that upset about losing that RP but I can't please everybody before myself all the time x__x

Sheesh??? Were they /wanting/ to make it racist or something??

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Eh, it's their loss. Maybe someday they'll look back and realize how petty they were.

I guess so? Some people have a really narrow worldview. But, like...even if it was an accurate depiction (which it certainly isn't), if you have the complete artistic freedom to do whatever you want, why create "Earth but with elves" for the millionth time? It just seems pointless.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Maybe. I hope nobody else has to go through that, it makes a hard thing to do even harder.

Yeah, you can do everything and anything, there's no reason to hold true to stereotypes and things like that :s It sounds honestly a little boring to do that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum