School

View previous topic View next topic Go down

School

Post by Mocking on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:37 pm

Or as the cool kids spell it, "skool".

Sooo, how's everyone's school experience going? Favourite/least favourite classes? In any clubs? Failing or feeling pretty okay? Weird stories? Homeschooled? Have you graduated/if so, did you go to postsecondary/what's your major? What do you hope to do someday?

I jumped from a public elementary school to a Catholic highschool, which actually turned out fine. The uniforms weren't as strict as they could've been. Now I'm at university (undeclared major; please pick a career for me), which is expensive and not as challenging as I thought it would be (although I think I'm still failing philosophy). Residence internet is really sketchy and some person down the hall likes to play bagpipes at two in the morning. That's about it for me.
Mocking

View user profile http://mock-the-hero.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: School

Post by Detective Snow on Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:47 pm

Anything that interests you, Mocking, like classes or just hobbies?

For me, I'm attending highschool in hickville, Oklahoma, as you might know. There is literally 30 kids in my entire grade. The only club is a prep club, and I'm currently getting by with a 3.9 Yayy i like bragging.

I really want to go to the University of Oklahoma, which I toured last week and it is so cool, especially since what I am used to is hicktown, and constantly fighting parents and people. I'm ready to get out there.

I want to pursue something in Engineering, because I love math and science. Biomedical seems ideal, because it's science but still technology, plus I could help people.
But what I really love-and is extremely hard to find a job for-is science. Physics and chemistry are so cool, and astronomy is beautiful.

TL;DR: Derek likes science and tech and is in highschool
Detective Snow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:00 pm

lolnope, I'm pretty unenthusiastic about life

Going to school in Hickville's a real treat. Are you close to graduating?
Ah, biomed and engineering are both good ideas~ lots of competition but also supposedly lots of jobs on the other side. The people I know in those programs here have to take a bunch of physics and chemistry classes as part of their degree requirements, so maybe you can still do those?
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Snow on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:54 pm

Well damn. All I can suggest is don't do something just because it makes bank.

Sure is. Love the great selection of friends such as drugdoing douchebags and bible bigots. And no, I'm still a freshie unfortunately.

My therapist is trying to convince me to turn into into an advantage, by being the founder of coolkid clubs and maybe a newsletter. Probably is, with it's size, It's hard to get others involved.

And yeah. It's why I'm so wary of it. As much as I love a challenge, the prospect of not being able to have a job because I'm not good enough freaks me out.

And yeah. I'm pretty sure it'd be easy to get a major in some engineer and then minor in a science? I think that's how it works anyways.
Detective Snow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Eh, wasn't planning on it.

Ah...well, hopefully Hick Highschool isn't awful to you. You'll probably meet some real winners. Just remember that they're utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of your life.

I wouldn't worry about that too much...engineering/trades stuff is high in demand for the foreseeable future, and there's some pretty incompetent people out there.

Yep, you can major/minor in two different things (or do a joint-major).
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Snow on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:20 pm

Good good c:

Yeah. I've met two decent people I can linger with through the years.

Right. It's getting crazy out there, god knows where we'll be in a simple four years.

Fancy. Joint majors sound like a lot of hours though.
Detective Snow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hart on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:31 am

im not american so i can barely give any tips since i dont even fully understand ur schooling system. ik that people here say that bioengeenering and similar professions have very good jobs but like in more developed european counties. idk how double majors work but some ppl here attend two colledges at once n most of them only finish one.

n holy shit bagpipes i though the crazy colledge student dorms were just a myth.

as for me im 3rd year in highschool (a very math oriented one in a special even more math n science oriented class) n the amout of work is killing me. the icing on the cake is that i plan to go into arts. the chance of surviving as any sort of an artist in my country is p much nonexistant tho. just yesterday our family friends were here n zhr gzys brother finished acadamy of arts here n then went to otaly n eventually came back but still takes foreign clients. im determined tho i really do wanna do this n i think ill crawl my way up somehow
Hart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnlyEvan on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:43 pm

I'm managing my work okay, but because I've been sick I'm behind in the one class that I actually have to be in class to do anything which is frustrating as all get out, and even though I could do the photoshop stuff at home using a different program, that teacher refuses to use the school's online elearning thing at all so I never know what we're doing so I can at least conceptualize what's going on.

That all said, having moved from a Catholic school to a public school I'm much happier, especially since I was actually allowed to put my preferred name on everything, and people are referring to me properly now? Even the one guy in my one class who screwed up, once I corrected him was like 'oh, okay, sure'.

Could be worse, could theoretically be better but my general health doesn't want to allow that.

"IZAIAH NO" - Me
OnlyEvan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:49 pm

@Detective Snow

I'm actually not sure how joint majors work in terms of hours...maybe when you get closer to graduating do some investigating? School's so expensive, might as well squeeze everything you can out of it.

@Hart

I'm in Canada, so I also am not sure how American schools work, heh.

Math/science is generally a safer pathway than arts (unfortunately, wah), so I guess it's good that you can fall back on that if the whole arts thing doesn't work out? Good luck, though!

@OnlyEvan

Was your Catholic school really strict/unyielding...? I was lucky and ended up in a relaxed one, but I know that's not always the case...there was another one up the road where it was against school policy to dye your hair.

Hope you feel better soon! Being sick's no fun.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by OnlyEvan on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:55 pm

@Mocking

I'm not sick now, but I was for a while. Health issues that pop up every so often and knock me out, usually for about a week but it was bad this time.

And not really? It was actually really relaxed on that front, to be quite honest. People dyed their hair/had piercings/visible tattoos/etc. And they preached the whole 'its okay to be gay as long as you don't do the do' thing. I even technically came out to my vice principal because he was actually really good about that sort of thing, even if he didn't know that much, but the fact of the matter is that I couldn't come out to the rest of the school since there were some teachers who were a lot worse about it. My grade 9 religion teacher pulled out the whole 'being transgender is choosing to reject the gift God gave you' and 'why would you choose to ruin a perfectly healthy body with surgery' spiel when someone asked about it during our healthy relationships/sexuality type unit.

"IZAIAH NO" - Me
OnlyEvan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Oh man, the high school that I went to was an adventure. There were no real walls dividing up any of the classrooms, just dividers that you could push down if you felt rebellious, so you heard all of the classes being taught around you as well as the class you were actually in. It got stupidly distracting. So for lock downs and such we all had to cram into the few rooms that did have walls and doors, except not all of the doors could actually lock, so we basically would've been screwed if a school shooting or something did happen there. That kindof thing wasn't happening as often back when I was in high school though.

There was also a mold issue, I got sick so much more often after I got into high school because of the mold, almost everybody did. We even studied mold growing on the ceiling in the biology classroom. And one time the sprinklers were set off on accident and the water in them was literally black, it did TONS of damage bc not only did everything get wet, but everything also got stained and smelled terrible. That was fun too.

The middle school I went to had been brand new and sparkling, so that high school was a massive adjustment.

One thing I was grateful for, though, was it had a system to let you know if a teacher was homophobic or not. The teachers that weren't had rainbow stickers on their boards that said "Safe Zone", the teachers that were didn't have stickers. I wasn't really out-out back then so I didn't use the system, but I'm sure other people did. There were only a few out people in that school while I was there, mostly lesbians, but one bi guy and one gay guy (my cousin) bc despite the school bragging up how accepting it was, it kindof wasn't? A guy came to school in a dress one day and they made him wear clothes from the lost and found instead, lest he be sent home. The student body definitely wasn't accepting either, they used gay slurs left and right and would hassle people that they knew were gay. Like during the Day of Silence, they would take advantage of it and harass everybody who wasn't talking bc they knew they probably wouldn't defend themselves on that particular day. It was awful.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hart on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Wow it's sorta weird for me to hear about schools where lgbt themes r even discussed? cuz like, in my expeiernce, it was never really a part of either schools i attended. i had no idea about anything lgbt related in elementary n nwo in high school i do know some queer people but its really a thing they keep to their friend group n teachers almost never speak of it n if they do its mostly derogatory. and i dont really know anybody who is out so the whole school knows either. true, my school is big and theres a lot of students, but still.

n wtf @ the no walls school thing how even.. ?????? im just so confused ?? LIKE HOW?? the rest i can understand kinda but how do u have a school n no walls separating the classrooms? was it supposed to be that way or did they jsut sorta build the rest nt hen gave up on the walls what even happened?
Hart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OnlyEvan on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:21 pm

LGBTQ is a pretty open thing in our school? Like, you still hear slurs on occasion from people who are honestly just stupid (I casually used the fact I was getting on the bus [which is a blood sport I swear] to elbow a guy who I'd heard using the f-slur in the proximity of his genitals).

There's our Positive Space group, which we have instead of a 'GSA'. Its basically the same thing but the language is different and I'm going to be honest and say I actually prefer the term, because its kindof a place for anyone to come in and know they'll be accepted rather than explicitly stating that its going to be all about sexuality and only that, really? I've only gone to one meeting so far and there weren't many people that week, but it was pretty chill and it was nice to not have to worry about whether or not people were trying to figure out if I was actually a guy or a girl. There's even a day every year for the Grade 9s that they run all about sexuality/gender identity/diversity and that kindof thing.

Also one of my teachers is honestly the best and I'm going to be sad if he leaves next semester like is a possibility.

"IZAIAH NO" - Me
OnlyEvan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Some of our teachers were cool and supported kids regardless of their orientation/gender; the others would just go on rants about the Bible if it came up. Kind of a mixed bag.

Ughh, defective building structure's always a treat. I remember my elementary school had massive water-leakage problems that got worse in the spring. You'd have to strain to hear the teacher over the sound of water dripping/streaming into buckets on the floor.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by Hart on Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:05 pm

thats actually p cool.. i mean its probs not perf but its deffo a strp in the right direction n a huge one at that. like i was legit not aware of anything related to lgbt themes b4 timblr i didnt fucking know SHIT n its like one big taboo game avoid the home of sexuals topics. y is the world such

good job w elbowing the guy i suppot

yee stuff like that is here too. ecenomics high school didnt have glass in their windows during winter last year ot was a very cold hell 4 them. both my elementary n high r fine tho they r considered very good schools. i have a red carpet on the dtairs n the vuilding is actually rlly pretty

(ps dont use emoji it just cut off half my message after emoji i had to edit n retype)
Hart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:10 pm

My school had a GSA, but it only had the openly gay/bi people in it, so it was more of a gay alliance than a gay/straight alliance. I wanted to go, but I knew my parents would've eaten me alive if I did, so I watched from afar :/

It feels weird to think about the fact that I've been out of school for six years?? Especially considering I could still walk into that school and pass for a high school student without anybody questioning it at all, lmao. Then again, I still get offered free cookies at the grocery store sometimes... I can't decide if having a babyface is a curse or a blessing xD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Magic on Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:17 pm

well i live in sweet home california so it's been nice. i never went to preschool or kindergarten and in second grade i moved to another town, so i had to jump a grade wooo. i went to a terrible middle school and my grades were equally horrific, but now that i'm in high school i've averaged a 4.0 and am taking some AP classes to add some points to it yeahh.
i'm aiming for either a surgeon or physician assistant, but for now i think i'm going for a chemistry major? i don't know, i'm about 90% sure i'll end up changing it hhhh

i'm a part of my school's GSA and also speech and debate. it's pretty cool and i have an asexual-themed bracelet. my school's also an outdoor school which is apparently a weird thing? idkk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chaos on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:11 pm

im in Australia and we are completely different in schooling system so i have no idea on american ways but as of if im failing i passed 6 out of 10 classes this year so im doing ok (most of them were just over 50% and nothing over 67% excluding math 82%) but yeah. if i tried i could pass everything with flying colors but i just don't do assignments which make up any where from 20% to 80% of the whole class mark.
as for a job im going into frenzies as a start then becoming the one who does the autopsies but that's still in a few years because im in year 9. if anyone has any idea what courses i have to take i will thank them. (the carriers adviser wont talk to anyone unless their in years 10,11,12)
and a slight insight into our system. primary school is kindergarten, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and high school contains years 7 through 12 than we go to university or tafe, tafe being a place where you do smaller trades and courses like auto election or pathology
chaos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:07 pm

@chaos wrote:im in Australia and we are completely different in schooling system so i have no idea on american ways but as of if im failing i passed 6 out of 10 classes this year so im doing ok (most of them were just over 50% and nothing over 67% excluding math 82%) but yeah. if i tried i could pass everything with flying colors but i just don't do assignments which make up any where from 20% to 80% of the whole class mark.
as for a job im going into frenzies as a start then becoming the one who does the autopsies but that's still in a few years because im in year 9. if anyone has any idea what courses i have to take i will thank them. (the carriers adviser wont talk to anyone unless their in years 10,11,12)
and a slight insight into our system. primary school is kindergarten, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and high school contains years 7 through 12 than we go to university or tafe, tafe being a place where you do smaller trades and courses like auto election or pathology

I have a friend in the forensic science program. It's probably different here in Canada, but I know she has to take biology, law, and a specific forensic science courses for sure. Also some stats classes, I think, and maybe chemistry? Probably chemistry. And likely some sort of psych/criminology course along the way.

So, I guess leading up to university make sure you get good science and math grades. And also English. The forensics program here only accepts fifty students a year, and you need at least sixty percent in highschool senior English for them to even consider you.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:18 am

Bringing this topic back from the dead partially to explain why I've been popping in and out of existence lmao

For some reason second year of uni = double the work, it's insane. Also expensive, but that's nothing new. The course instructors make us buy "course packs" that they themselves write?? I know they need to make money but jeez, they're like forty dollars a shot for ten classes a year.

I dropped one of my majors so now I'm majoring in history and minoring in sociology. Back in highschool I wanted to do environmental studies/science, but my math and chemistry grades were too low (but it turns out that you only need the highschool prereqs to get into the program and after that don't have to take them anymore? At least at my school. So don't let that deter you if you're considering the program, I guess.)

I feel like they swamp you with endless work to make you feel like you're accomplishing something when really everyone I know is just bitter, 110% stressed about due dates and technicalities, and retaining very little information from the previous year. but maybe I just talk to negative people.

anyways yeah, I hope the universe is being kind to you all.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top