Awww yis

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Awww yis

Post by feelingchimpy on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Number of people I have made watch Rise/Dawn with me: 6
Number of people who came away liking the movies: 6
Number of people who said they were surprised at how much they liked them: 5 (Matthew doesn't like anything xP)
Number of people who became an obsessed loser like me: 1 (Evan)

Bring on number 7, yo (Courage, get your ass here asap)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Awww yis

Post by feelingchimpy on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:26 pm

There's like 8 or 9 people now and not one that has disliked them~ (except my ex who doesn't count bc he's a negative nancy)

This is a massive victory

I'm used to people generally not liking movies I get obsessed with xP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:32 pm

I'm gonna watch at least one of them tonight get ready folks

edit: or I'm going to try bc my internet is being garbage

edit edit: it took a while because of my laptop, but I finished Rise. It was very well done. I was about to start watching Dawn when my laptop just totally quit on me (typing this from the household desktop), so hopefully I'll get to that soon.
Mocking

View user profile http://mock-the-hero.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Good luck with your laptop! D:

I'm glad you liked Rise! Dawn is very different and its a feels fest, so expect to be kicked in the feels repeatedly, especially in the second half. Its really good though, I like Dawn better than Rise tbh.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:32 pm

My laptop is Mcfucked lmao, but I had a warranty on it, so I should get a replacement soon.

I'm sure I'll like Dawn, then! Will let you know how it goes.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:20 am

Hopefully that works out, at least there's that! Warranties are lifesavers when they're still valid.

Its a very tragic movie, and the beginning has such a feeling of hope that gets... more or less shot down. Its a really great movie that's pretty much universally praised and has made a lot of WatchMojo's top ten lists, for what that's worth, which doesn't happen to favorite movies of mine very often (*cough*Godzilla 1998*cough*) so its nice to see my favorite movies on top ten lists that don't have 'worst' or 'hated' in the title xD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:21 am

Oh, and avoid trailers! Lots of Dawn's trailers spoil big plot points, which is critically annoying ene

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:40 pm

Oh, also, make sure the version you watch has subtitles! On my first viewing I watched like 20 minutes of Dawn without subtitles thinking to myself "I'm probably supposed to know what these apes are signing" and sure enough xP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:08 am

I watched Dawn, finally, which such commentary as "cARVER YOU DICK" and "gdi koba". But I had a good time. My favourite character's probably Maurice.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Everybody loves Maurice! Evan's favorites are Ash and Maurice if I remember right and mine are Koba, Blue Eyes, and Caesar of course. They say War is going to be darker and more emotional, Caesar's moral center is eroding, and he's lost all empathy for humans. Its going to be a rough ride I think.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Koba was a surprisingly/pleasantly multifaceted antagonist by the end of things. Like, better than most human villains in other movies I've seen this year.

War sounds like it'll be interesting, then!
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:56 am

I thought Koba was super well written compared to the black and white villain they could have made him. Up until a point he thought he was doing the right thing even if he had to take very extreme measures, he thought he was doing what he had to do. With the limited knowledge he had, the humans intended to attack and Caesar ignored every warning and every sign of it. He knew that the apes' only chance was to make the first strike and catch the humans by surprise or they'd be demolished. So he was acting in what he thought was the best interest for the apes, not because he was evil really. I mean in Firestorm, the "in between" book, he had a hero worship of Caesar that was very intense and he and Caesar grew to have an extremely strong bond by Dawn (in Firestorm Koba saved Caesar's life and Caesar told him "We are brothers", and that bond had ten years to grow stronger before Dawn happened) so his actions were definitely not something he would have done unless he thought he absolutely had to. There is a point after the war starts where he crossed a line to unforgivable, acting selfishly and out of going mad with power, and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. But up until then I understand what was going through his head and why he did what he did. Once the war started though I think the power and revenge went to his head. Koba is pretty much the most popular character in PotA. I see a lot more love for Koba than Caesar, even, within the fanbase. So he's just universally regarded very well it seems like!

tl;dr Koba was handled very well and I was super impressed xP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:47 am

Yeah, he was a really interesting character in that regard. His backstory was good as well. I might read the in-between book someday, if I ever have free time again.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:42 am

The in between book focuses a looot on Koba's backstory through flashbacks. I mean his "human work" scene in Dawn cemented why he is the way he is without anything else added to it, but knowing what happened to him in detail in Firestorm explains everything to a greater extent. Poor thing. Some of it was kindof painful to read when you imagine him as a real animal going through these things, because real animals /do/ go through these things :/

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:53 am

It's good that they nailed it in the movie, then. A lot of the time films totally fail to capture the essence of a character's backstory. Was the book written before or after the movies came out?

But yeah, it's unfortunate that animal testing is still a thing...hopefully it's lessening nowadays.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Firestorm was written after Rise and, I think, before Dawn? If not before, right around the time.

He wasn't just a lab animal, he had basically every form of terrible life an ape can have except for being a pet. Its really sad. But testing on chimpanzees (Koba is technically a bonobo though) in the USA is winding down majorly and that's a really good thing, hopefully it paves the way for some more species to get off the hook too!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:57 pm

Ahh, I see...that's unfortunate for him, then. I'll have to read up on it sometime.

Yeah, I don't know how it hasn't been criminal in the past to do experiments on creatures who are almost genetically identical to us.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:17 am

They're so like us behaviorally too, a lot of people don't realize. I've read lots of Jane Goodall's books and seen lots of documentaries, etc and how human they are (although it might be unfair to call it that because logically the behavioral similarities started in a common ancestor and was passed on to both of us) is astonishing. How something can be so like us while being so unlike us is one of the things that drew me to chimpanzees to begin with. The thought of such mentally complex animals locked away in small cages and basically tortured is sickening. Chimpanzees are mentally equivalent to young human children and in my opinion, species doesn't matter. Its just as horrible as it would be to do that to a little kid. They don't suffer any less just because they're not human.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Although I think recently apes have been getting more legal protection as non-human persons, or something like that? I'd have to look into it.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:42 pm

They've been trying, but its an uphill battle bc humans in general have such a deepset belief that animals are "lesser beings". The NIH is retiring all of its lab chimps and as of last year I think, labs have to apply for permits to use chimps in labs (or at least for some types of experiments?), etc so progress is definitely being made and I do think it'll come to an end sometime in the future, preferably soon. It seems like there's been a lot of animal rights movements the past few years and its really encouraging!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:43 am

Ultimately I'm not sure where things will end up...a lot of breakthrough medical science can be attributed to animal testing, unfortunately. There's an ongoing project to create microchips that synthesize human organs so that animals can be eliminated from the equation entirely. I'm hoping that works out.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:26 pm

I hope it does too. I know that it saves human lives but I have trouble believing, personally, that human lives are worth more than any other life. But then again I've always been kindof like that. I tend to like animals more than people and tbh I have more empathy for animals. idk.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:19 am

It's definitely been a debatable topic over the centuries. Personally, I think it's unfair the judge the quality of another creature's conscious experience in relation to our own. Obviously they won't be the same, but that doesn't make either of them less valuable than the other.

On a different note, it's interesting how similar human and greater ape skeletons are, idk how anyone can still contest that we came from a common ancestor. I'm back in a biological anthropology course next semester, so it'll be fun to revisit.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by feelingchimpy on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:27 pm

It seems like religion is the basis of the denial and those people are hard to budge. I mean they have the right to believe what they want of course, I just don't agree with what they believe. I've seen enough physical proof of what I believe to be confident, anyhow. On a semi related note, I feel like other great ape skulls look so much better than human skulls?? Human skulls look flat on the front and oversized where the brain goes and they just don't look visually appealing to me at all compared to like, a chimp skull. Does that make any sense? xD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mocking on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:09 am

As someone who collects bones I definitely understand skull preference, lmao. I do appreciate the chompers on chimp skulls. More interesting to look at.
Mocking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top